PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where a Twotter goes even ...
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2016, 03:35
Mr. North

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Approach plate for the south pole from a couple of years ago. It's not well depicted on here but Grid E of the runway is the clean air sector. As you can imagine the south pole has the purest air on the planet, scientist use this area as a benchmark for the rest of the earth. They come down pretty hard on those who violate this airspace so it's in your best interest to make sure you're approaching from the right sector.

Someone may have an older approach plate, I remember the way points were previously named after Amundsen, Scott, and Shackleton. Too bad they made the change.

I'm glad to hear that they will have some rest once arriving at the station. I was under the impression that they would be turning right around weather permitting. That being said, "rest" at the Pole can be rather erratic. Obviously at the 9,300ft you have the elevation to deal with. But being at the Pole you're under an area of constant low pressure, which can give you the feeling of being much higher. Lastly, it's extremely dry. Trying to get good sleep with an oxygen generator plugged up your nose is not pleasant. I'm sure you'd get used to it over time but for one or two nights at a time it's tough.

I heard today that they've landed in Rothera and are waiting for a weather window. In the mean time they'll be switching from wheels to board skis. Usually this is accomplished by switching to wheel-skis, flying up to the plateau, and switching to boards on the skiway. But I'm guessing that at this time of year they'll go straight to board skis on the tarmac and blast off the snow packed runway.