PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QATAR MPL CTC 2016
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2016, 22:59
atlas12

I agree with tomuchwork ^

I don't know why people go for these ridiculous MPL programs, you aren't doing yourself any favours in the long run. Some of my fondest memories are from flying in general aviation and turbo props. I understand the lure of flying a wide body right off the bat, and I probably would have been tempted too if I was offered the opportunity when I was 18. Having said that, I am looking to move onto a wide body now and I have almost 6000hrs. A lot of captains are going to be very hostile towards low time pilots, they shouldn't be but they will. Having some experience and PIC time will gain you a lot more respect in the flight deck, and you will have a much better time because the captain won't be watching you so closely. 99% of the time it is okay but on the one night a year when hits the fan, having an experienced FO next to you helps. Line training is also a lot easier when you start flying jets because most things are motor skills, you just have to get used to a higher performance aircraft and different techniques.

My advice: go and fly a turbo prop as an FO for a while, get a command and develop your skills, then jump into a narrow body and work your way up. I learned a LOT in the left seat of a turbo prop.... short sectors, weather, annoying pax and cabin crew, trying to stay on time, low time FOs... it all happens. You don't want to deal with that stuff for the first time in the left seat of a 777. Then again I guess it depends on the individual.

Good luck either way.