PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No aerobatics by Red Arrows at Farnborough!
Old 20th Jun 2016, 08:03
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by melmothtw
Tourist,

Did you feel that things needed to change after Ramstein, or was that an over reaction by 'pant-wetters' also?
I think that after every crash, you should look at the circumstances, consequences, and look at the likelihood of it happening again.

You should then have a think as to whether there is a fix that will reduce the risk of it happening again.

This "fix" should then be balanced against the effect that the fix will have on accomplishing the task whatever that task may be.

If the cost/benefit analysis seems reasonable then implement the fix.

In the case of Rammstein, I personally think that the fix was worth it. It was linked to the causes of the accident and relevant.

The "fix" for the reds at Farnborough being "don't display" I think not. The crash was unrelated in so many ways.

Your comment about there having to be a sufficient body-count before any change is effected is the highest order of cynicism.
I will rephrase that for you:-

"your comment about using empirical evidence rather than emotion and supposition before change is effected is the highest order of cynicism."

I think that the perfect person to make such decisions would be utterly cynical and untroubled by emotion.

And while no one needs you to point out to them that death is a fact of life, not mitigating against it when a threat has been identified and the opportunity presents itself to do so is surely the very definition of stupidity.
There is only one conclusion if you truly believe that statement.
No matter how many incremental changes of ever reducing effectiveness we make, there will always be an opportunity to reduce it further.
Your statement can be shortened to "flying is the very definition of stupidity"

There must always be an acceptable level of risk, and WE MUST ACCEPT IT!

No one is expecting or even striving for 'perfect safety' by limiting the Reds' display at Farnborough, they are just trying to reduce the risk of anyone dying pointlessly.
What is happening at Farnborough is worse than doing nothing.

Every aircraft flying presents a small risk to the public.

At least when they were displaying, they entertained, brought joy, showed the flag, impressed foreigners with our prowess, helped foreign sales etc etc.

Now, they will be airborne achieving nothing but embarrassing themselves whilst still adding some risk to bystanders.

The last crash did not happen during a display, but during the break to land. They will still be doing that I think.

Nothing would be more "pointless" than dying in the crash of the world's best display team not displaying.