PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No aerobatics by Red Arrows at Farnborough!
Old 19th Jun 2016, 20:25
MSOCS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What many here seem to not realise, is that this whole topic pertains to MILITARY JET displays, so any comparison with airliners is, frankly, futile. A team jet display that cannot meet the CAA requirements, post-Shoreham, is not at fault. They just don't have the time or funding to work up a Farnborough-friendly display and get it authorised in time. That's assuming such a thing is possible - which I highly doubt, given their multiple choreographies. Likewise, the CAA is doing its duty to protect the public and to try their best to ensure a Shoreham accident doesn't happen again.

All the comparisons I've read here are flawed in some way and are not fair. Right now the CAA are being vilified by the spotter community. It's a resentful reaction, mostly. Therefore the CAA are damned if they impose and damned if they don't. The real question is do you need to reform certain practices? Given a quick Google Earth overhead of Farnborough, I'm surprised higher-risk displays (I.e. Large teams) weren cuffed before Shoreham forced some navel gazing.