PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2016, 19:36
Wander00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I should be interested to hear the view from the other side of the microphone, not least because the fact I am here is largely due to a talk-down controller at St Mawgan in 67/68. We are six T17s on task between Ballykelly and St M when someone listening on HF hears that Shacks are being diverted as far as Gib due to UK going out rapidly in fog. In our lot I am the only "white" card, (which makes it 67) and I get put at the top of the stack. There is NO diversion. My break-off about 860 ft, and the base is being called as 3-500'. Plan is we make one, perhaps 2 attempts with a BO of 300' on the radalt. If unsuccessful, fly over the airfield at 1000' and bang the guys out of the back and then I take the aeroplane out to sea and throw Aunty Betty's aeroplane away. First attempt perfect talkdown, straight down the slot, lights at 300' and land. Could hardly see the "Follow Me". Taxied in, open the door and flt cdr's (ED) first words are "What's your f'ing break off?" Took me on one side told me to consider myself bollocked, and he would buy me the first beer! Sticks in my mind almost 50 years later, and I can still visualise the approach. Did go and thank the controller though.

Last edited by Wander00; 20th Jun 2016 at 12:00. Reason: Plus de vin rouge