PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erebus 25 years on
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2016, 10:11
megan

Received 433 Likes on 220 Posts
I asked a while back if you guys were thought that the outcome would have been the same regardless of which Air NZ crew had been assigned to that duty
I'll be brave enough to stick up my hand framer, quite possibly yes. You can never be absolutely sure in your judgements of course, but the entire operation was such a mess that I can only repeat my previous, the only question to be asked is,

Where
When
To whom
:
" There was a briefing a few days prior to the flight where the crew were told that the route was well to the side of Mount Erebus."
Not true. The crew were told that the final waypoint was at McMurdo Station. There can be no dispute about this, because it was recorded on tape.
Nonsense ampan. Chippendale said,
An examination of this briefing revealed certain significant items were not included,

The procedure for determining the minimum flight level recognised for the Antarctic area and specifically the McMurdo control area.

The way in which the Air New Zealand route varied from the normal military route, which followed the reporting points depicted on the RNC, particularly on the leg from Cape Hallett south to McMurdo.

A comprehensive discussion of the visual phenomenon peculiar to the Antarctic ie the whiteout conditions, which might be anticipated with overcast sky and and snow covered terrain below.
A complete stuff up by the airline.

I see our good friend ampan is back, perhaps we can can expect more erudite and insightful insights posts as per his previous ,
Collins was thick, like you are: Couldn’t even pass School C

As to what was going on inside the head of Captain Collins, the answer is: Very little.
Can't expect too much of substance heh ampan?