PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where a Twotter goes even ...
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2016, 06:17
Mr. North

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I first started flying back in 01 when KBA made the initial polar rescue. After watching it on TV I knew I just had to fly for these guys and I eventually did. My years there were the best of my career so far and there are times like now when I wish I could go back.

Allow me to share what I know about their operation and this trip in particular.

The twin otter is the best aircraft for this task. The USAF C-130 is only capable of operating from a groomed skiway, whereas a ski equipped twotter can theoretically be put down anywhere. That being said I imagine the main reason is cost. With a C130 burning somewhere around 4,000 lbs of fuel an hour I can't begin to imagine how much it would cost to fill up at the most expensive gas station on the planet.

The twin will be flown with two internal ferry tanks providing an additional 5,000 lbs of fuel and yielding a total endurance of 10-12 hours. I say 10-12 because the fuel burn varied between 600-700 depending on the machine. The flight from Rothera to Pole is 1,300nm and travelling at 150kts on paper it will take 9 hours. However, the winds coming down from the polar plateau can be strong (50-100kts) and extend for hundreds of miles. I imagine the boys will probably put on an additional drum or two of granny gas if they can afford the room.

There are no cold weather limits for the Twin Otters at KBA. That being said the temperatures that they will be operating at are on the extreme end of what they normally deal with. The severe cold has a tendency to accelerate the failure of any aircraft components with an underlying weakness. Once you get below -40 and into the 50's it's important to baby the aircraft in all ways possible. The engines, battery, and avionics require special care of course. But so do the lesser items like the ski bungees, fuel caps, and door handles. Any of which can easily break without much effort at all.

On arrival, once the aircraft comes to a stop it will be immediately frozen in place. Normally, knocking the skis and twisting the throttles will be enough to wiggle yourself loose but at ferry weight she will most certainly need a tug from a tractor to break free. Another interesting phenomenon at these extremes is ski friction. Normally the weight of the ski on snow melts a small layer into water which allows you to slide along. But at these temperatures that doesn't always happen, especially at low speed like taxing. The friction of the snow now becomes similar to sand. As a result gaining any sort of momentum can be quite challenging. Thankfully they have 12,000ft of groomed skiway to play with.

They most likely won't be on the ground for long. Starboard engine will be kept running to power the tip tank fuel pumps and keep the battery above board. Some hot fuel, wx check, and load'em up. They'll have tailwinds for the return trip but it will be no less challenging. Fatigue will become a factor. As will enroute icing around the coast and the ever present possibility of the weather going down at Rothera.

Plenty of factors to account for on a mission like this. I wish them all the best!!

Last edited by Mr. North; 21st Jun 2016 at 03:38.