PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erebus 25 years on
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2016, 04:09
prospector

Absolute nonsense. See comment from the controller, "absurd" he said.

Aha!!!! So Gordon Vette in his book "Impact Erebus" on page 49 is talking an "absurdity" when he states

He probably either did not understand their reasons or else he would have been surprised that they had the radar switched into surveillance mode, which, even though it has blind spots overhead, would allow them to monitor his initial approach and probably allow him to come below MSA on approach.
[quote]I don't know if you are being purposely thick (comprehension again?). I was not referring to Collins, I was talking of ANY FLIGHT,.QUOTE]
I was under the impression the debate was about Mahon claiming the crew were blameless, or "did not commit any error"
They were never able to fly the cloudbreak procedure in IMC when the NDB was available, for the simple reason they wouldn’t have the RADAR monitoring that was demanded.
I see it all, the surveillance mode was installed just prior, and for this flight??

All the postulating in the world, and who said what when is completely irrelevant. their riding instructions were given in
OAA:14/13/28 dated 8 Nov 1979 Headed McMurdo NDB not available

Delete all reference to briefing dated 23/10/79. Note that the only let down procedure available is VMC below FL160(16,000ft) to 6,000ft as follows:
1. Vis 20 km plus
2. No snow shower in area
3. Avoid Mt Erebus area by operating in an arc from 120 grid through 360 grid to 270grid from McMurdo field, within 20nm of TACAN CH29
4. Descent to be coordinated with local radar control as they may have other traffic in area.

You will no doubt note VMC FL160 to 6,000ft. no requirement for any approach plate, no requirement for any overshoot. The whole descent was to be VMC below 16,000ft.

You will perhaps, or not, note the dates given for these requirements

Here we have highly experienced airline pilots being asked to fly a VMC operation in the worlds most demanding environment with absolutely no training or experience.
This was the airlines fault? nothing to do with NZALPA insisting that their senior pilots all have a turn at this perk flight?

Last edited by prospector; 19th Jun 2016 at 04:22.