PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA hire around Canberra - Gundaroo, Goulburn?
Old 19th Jun 2016, 02:04
Alchemy101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GA hire around Canberra - Gundaroo, Goulburn?

Moving to Canberra for work, and (like many here) fly GA for pleasure, usually 172/182/PAIII. Currently I can drive to my local class G (regional city) airport, let myself in through the coded gate, unlock the plane and go for a fly, any time.

Last time I flew into Canberra in a light aircraft it seemed like GA isn't encouraged.

Looks like the Canberra Aeroclub has a few aircraft for hire, but with the inconvenience of paying to park the car, phoning to get through a gate (apparently prior notice required), controlled airspace and the associated costs etc, I'm wondering if there are any other options in the area for when one just wants to 'go for a fly'.

Trawling through the forum I've heard that Gundaroo has a flying club, but I can't find any details of their operations. Likewise, people say Goulburn used to be good, but is apparently now expensive due to management changes. And the last thread addressing GA hire from Canberra is now 10 years old.

So, over to PPRUNE - what's the best option in or around Canberra for private hire? Is there a best option?