PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Royal Flight
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2016, 10:51
Flightwatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Royal Flight

Whilst going through some of my late father's papers I came across a file pertaining to what he always told me was the first Royal Flight made by anyone other than the Queen's Flight. It was to carry the Queen from Stockholm to London after a state visit to Sweden. It took place nearly 60 years ago to the day on Viscount V701 G-ANHC RMA Sir Leopold McLintock. The aircraft had been used a couple of months previously to ferry Kruschev and Bulganin around the UK. Sadly it was written off two years later in a mid-air with an Italian Sabre near Anzio with no survivors.

Father was the F/O and the picture he received of HMQ and family still hangs in the hall of the family house, there are very young Prince Charles and Princess Anne standing on a wall in a royal garden somewhere with their parents in the middle. What happened to Prince Phillip on this flight isn't related! Suffice it to say I have also the met briefing, flight plan, fuel log etc.etc. pertaining to the flight, even a brief as to where Danish and British warships were to be stationed for the flight. There is also a plotting chart.

Looking at the pax list, eat you heart out Robbie Coltrain, there was an Inspector Cracker many years before your portrayal! Interesting to see that the back-up aircraft was sent to Stockholm on a charter for Edmundo Ross and orchestra, another blast from the past.

The Captains on both Aircraft were all well known BEA management characters until the mid 70s when age caught up with them. It always amazed me how brave the Queen was choosing to be flown by pilots who only emerged a couple of days a month from their offices to retain their currency (not that I imagine she had a clue!). By contrast Father hid away for most of his career in Jersey although after they closed the base from under him he ended up as a line checker on the TriStar before retirement.

Finally here is a photo of the crew, anyone know what became of the rest of them? The man in the middke was the R/O. I love the way all the males have their leather gloves in hand.