PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AME Apprenticeships in WA
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2016, 04:46
PropBlades

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AME Apprenticeships in WA

Hi i'm a 2015 graduate looking into becoming a LAME.

I've asked around at Polytechnic West (a TAFE institution) about how to best go about becoming a LAME.

They said that I have one of two options:
1) Complete a 12 week pre-apprenticeship course and get a Cert II in Aeroskills and go 'apprenticeship-hunting' after that in order to gain my Cert IV in Aeroskills.

or

2) go look for an apprenticeship straight away.

I think that doing the Pre-apprenticeship would be beneficial, but does anybody know if this is the case or are companies willing to take on school-leavers with pretty-much no knowledge in this field and train them up?

I've read that the CASA regulations have also changed in recent years and that you no longer only need a Cert IV in Aeroskills, have the minimum SoE (Schedule of Experience) hours and also complete all of the CASA exams in oder to get your licence, but now ALSO need to have a Diploma in Aeroskills. No companies in WA offer this Diploma, so I was wondering if anyone knows the best way for me to get this?

I've also been looking for job-postings for AMEs and LAMEs, but cant seem to find any in WA - they all seem to be in the eastern states. Does anybody know of any WA companies looking for apprentices and LAMEs?

If anyone has any experience with becoming a LAME in WA or even in the rest of Australia, I'd really appreciate any insight, tips and knowledge.

Hope to hear from you soon

-CJ