PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parallel landing at SFO
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2016, 15:24
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks,
I note the nasty little tail in Bloggs last post. If I said black was black, he would argue it was white ---- this is a matter of long history.

I rather suspect that if he actually ever operated in US, he would blow a foofle valve, having long battled against any introduction of the US approach to Australian aviation, particularly US airspace and traffic management. He "knows" it won't work !! The fact that it does demonstrably work, and work well, at much greater traffic levels than Australia, is no more than a trifling and inconvenient fact.

Unlike him, I have operated through KSFO (and many other places in US) since long before TCAS was even invented, needless to say, including parallel approaches at KSFO, as P1 in aircraft varying in gross weight from 1600kg through to 398,000 kg.

As to RA v. TA, for many years my then employer, a major international carrier, recommended as per the manufacturer (in my case, Boeing) and the avionics manufacturer, TA in terminal areas, but left the final decision up to the Captain of the aircraft.

In the current operations, in which I have some involvement, we follow the same practice, leave the final decision up to the suitably informed and experienced Captain.