PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self-Hire Minimum Hours Restriction
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2016, 11:26
The_Pink_Panther

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew from one airfield for a few years where they hard a hard and fast 28 day rule. They didn't apply any sliding scale for experience. Their planes, their rules.

I currently fly from a far busier airfield, and the club take a more pragmatic approach. They look not just at if you've flown in the last 28 days (they're a bit more flexible and look at a month, date to date) but how often you've flown before then too. Depending on that an instructor will jump in for a circuit or two.

About 12-15 months ago I'd flown very infrequently and had not only gone over the 28 days, but had only logged a couple of hours in the preceding 28 days, so asked an instructor to come up with me - bit of insurance and someone to keep me on point. The instructor had flown with me previously and said they would sign me off without a check ride, (discretion of an instructor based on that sliding scale mentality mentioned by others) but they were also happy to come up with me. Did a EFATO, short field approach and a flap-less approach, made me feel better, and reinforced to the instructors that I was mindful of being current and on top of my game.

TPP