PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Degrees good for ATCO's
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2016, 10:27
alfaman

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by M8ttb
I see what you mean, a mixed bag of thoughts! I'm not sure whether to apply now or when I finish the degree. The bottom line is if I did it now I'd have nothing to lose right? And if anything, I'd be showing I'm interested in becoming an ATCO since I'll have already applied previously (if I wasn't to get in first time!)?

Are there other companies you can train with out of interest? I know that NATS is the one to go to with their excellent ops etc

The answers you'll get depend on the background of the person responding, & the one most suitable for you depends on what type of ATC you wish to go into; whichever, though, your chosen degree will add valuable background, so don't fret about that. NATS is one of, but not the only, training provider, if you're able to move outside the UK - most of the European providers will be recruiting soon, if they're not already. They tend to use the same test regimes though, so there's only really any benefit when you have a target in mind. You're correct, you can do the preliminary application & testing now, that'll give you some idea as to whether you'll at least pass that phase. There's no pressure to continue beyond that until you're ready, the pressure is really on the providers who need people asap. That's unlikely to radically change in the time span you're thinking about, so perhaps take the degree & see from then on. You have a plan, that's great, lots of people don't!