PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Magazines; The Future
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2016, 19:50
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I still get my copy of Private Eye delivered in print every two weeks to my post box and look forward to its arrival. However my postman delivers very little these days as my bills etc are paid online.

The electronic media world is moving fast and these days there are content aggregators ,that deliver all the topics you are interested in, direct to your screen free of charge. This means the scatter gun approach used in old fashioned advertising is replaced by targeted adverts focussed on what the consumer is interested in.

Google were the first to latch on to this method of making advertising more efficient. Youtube generates huge income in the same way.

Those paying for the advertising can achieve a more focussed approach at a much lower cost over a broader spectrum.

The advert money is what keeps a publication afloat or sinks it.

The content is the other key issue.

National newspapers in general print the same news as each other every day. Most comes from their own long time historical aggregators such as Press Association, Reuters and Associated Press.

The opinion and columnists slant makes a big impact on the readership model. They employ very well paid journalists that set out to ignite comment.

The TCT thread here on Ppprune is a good example of what a successful media model needs. Over 50,000 page views and not a penny spent on content providers.

The adverts are targetting their spend on your eyes.

The days when publications made big money out of classified adverts has long gone.

These days the consumer or reader is the editor and that goes for all media.

The worm has turned.

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 16th Jun 2016 at 20:06. Reason: typos