PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there a future for the offshore version of the Leonardo (Agusta) AW101?
Old 16th Jun 2016, 11:13
nowherespecial

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I met with AW about 18 months ago and discussed exactly this. Going rate per ac was openly talked about for about $50m in O&G fit so those of you quoting that - bingo.

I view the 101 in the same way I view the Antonov 124, never going to be a big seller but less than 10 of them will probably be in full time employment for years doing runs into the Barents towards the Arctic (once Russia decides to stop being a d!ck on the global stage and the $ makes sense).

The O&G industry rarely ask questions the military haven't asked before so for ultra long range insertion, it's 101, CH53 or CH47, or tilt rotor. Once wells start being 250nm+ offshore (which they will do when the oil price justifies it), it will be looked at seriously. Until then, I can't see 101 happening, the economics don't justify it. A lease payment on a $50m ac would be about $400k a month, maybe a bit more. That's double what an S92 costs and 3.5x a Super Medium. If no one needs that extra 100nm offshore/ 5 people per movement, it's a pointless capability at the moment.