PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Degrees good for ATCO's
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2016, 01:12
towerguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suggest ...

step number one before doing anything else - go do an ATC/Pilot medical.
no point in wasting any further time or money if you aren't going to be able to go any further. I have seen several people with their sites set on an aviation career coming to a screeching halt due to the types in white coats.

Then ...
taking the 4yr uni scenario and a 2 yr license and validation as example...

after 6yrs you are a licensed controller with a degree but little experience and only 2 yrs superannuation input. It also gives a period of 4yrs where life, marriage, mortgage etc can step in and change or ruin/improve things (depending on point of view).

OR
go straight into ATC then do the degree in your own time.
6yrs later you are a licensed ATC with 6yrs experience and super input and a degree. You will also have decided if doing the degree was even necessary and you have 6yrs pay in the bank. More likely you will be like the rest of us and be married mortgaged and deciding if the kids get a college fund or it's winter in the Caribbean or skiing in Switzerland for you and the missus.

been doing it for 27yrs now and before joining I did deliver a TV to a university once. Biggest laugh was getting a diploma in aviation in the post after they decided all the study in getting the license and upgrading over the years was the equivalent.

either way good luck with it . ATC is a great job and lifestyle once you are in and settled. A great bunch of people around the world as mates too.