PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any flexibility re expired ATPL exams
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2016, 12:47
2close

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regrettably, you will have to start from scratch.

I have come across several cases of people asking for exemptions, including, quite honestly, life threatening illness and family bereavement, all of which have been refused.

I personally had a close call when the weather was too bad for the IR skill test on the last day of the exams' validity. The CAA staff examiner called up the CAA (admittedly pre-EASA) and managed to get an extension of one day but still had to argue the toss (quite firmly) that we could not be held responsible for the weather and that it would be dangerous to fly.

EASA will simply say it's down to the national aviation authority, i.e. the CAA, and the CAA will simply say that it is down to the EASA regulations that they have to apply....(unless it suits their purpose to claim a national deviation. The goalposts at Gatwick are actually on roller skates, they get moved around that often).

You can send off letters and even file an appeal but I honestly feel you would be wasting your time and that you would be better off saving yourself a great deal of stress and biting the bullet.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.