PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Degrees good for ATCO's
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2016, 09:04
M8ttb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Degrees good for ATCO's

Hi all

My first post on here

I'm due to start Uni next year, and wishing to become an ATCO. I've already been in touch with a friend who is one, and certain it's what I wish to do as a career.

I'm at a bit of a dilemma, though....I could apply now, but since I have little experience in terms of aviation I think I may not stand as good a chance as someone a little older with more aviation experience. Instead, I'm looking at doing a degree at an aviation academy, it's a 2-year foundation degree which has an optional 3rd year that makes it a Bsc (Hons). It's called Aviation Operations & Management (Pilot Studies). It looks really interesting and the course provider said students have gone on to become ATCO's.

I'd really like advice from you guys, is is something worthwhile doing, getting some experience and maybe even an opportunity to get a p/t job within the airfield where the academy is located versus no experience?!

Would appreciate your advice, tips etc. I guess I could apply now and then apply when I finish the degree, but seems a bit pointless to me knowing I'd probably be against people with more experience?

Cheers

M.