PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue hiring
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2016, 02:26
Snakecharma

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
There are many many people who have made a happy and successful career of instructing, GA, regional flying etc.

Particularly with instructing it is a huge shame that it isn't seen as a well paid career, as professional experienced instructors are worth their weight in gold

BUT! When you get to the point where you are working harder than you would in the airlines, get paid a fraction of what you would get paid in the airlines, in an environment where you have a fraction of the support (load control, flight planning etc) and you don't have much in the way of job security, why wouldn't you have a look at an airline job?

Same theory applies to jobs at Cobham or similar (and yes I have worked for them in a past life). I enjoyed my time there and if it was not a contract dependent job I would probably still be there, but at the end of the day an opportunity arose where I had to make a decision on what was likely to be best for me and more importantly the people who relied on me. As I said before, Cobham can be the best, most efficient operator, the greatest employer and all round nicest guys in the cosmos, BUT if the people who contract them to supply aeroplanes and crews decide to go in a different direction you are potentially stuffed.

All I am saying is take the long view and don't dismiss an opportunity because the first part of the job is not ideal, and make a value judgement on all of the circumstances including your current job and then make a decision. FTS if that makes me a sucker for cool aid and a company man with rose coloured glasses, I guess I will just have to sit in the left hand seat of my wide body jet and suck it up.