PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 14th Jun 2016, 21:35
BedakSrewet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OnePerRev
John,
Don't know about the published CRT as others are posting about, but we can assume that the fatigue approach is NOT as you say for gears. It is close, however. The standards have not changed much in this area, in general it is a 140% overtorque test that is conducted in a rig. This equates to just under 3 sigma for steel. The load can be reduced further for multiple specimens. It is intended for tooth bending loads. Not sure what was done on this box, how much credit if any was taken for legacy assemblies. Nor do we know what other loads are considered. In the pinion, the cracks shown are not tooth bending, but initiate at the bearing integral race (our guess based on the released photos).
I concur that AH engineers are scrambling, regardless of what the press releases are saying.. in addition to experts from their transmission source, as I understand that it is completely outsourced, including design.
On the loads, Also agree as you suggest that there may be an anomaly, a previously not understood load source affecting the epicyclic, beyond that which it was certified to.
Having done the SA330 ( Puma ) course in 1970, I remember that the MGB was designed and manufactured by FIAT AVIAZONE.