PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No aerobatics by Red Arrows at Farnborough!
Old 14th Jun 2016, 19:10
BEagle

Received 279 Likes on 113 Posts
Farnborough hasn't been the same since the RAF left....

Back in the '80s, you could turn up at RAF Farnborough and park at the Officers' Mess. Then have a coffee in the ante room before wandering down through the private RAF access to the showground. A quick gander around various stands in the trade area, then back up to the OM enclosure to watch the flying. Tea and stickies in the marquee, then back to the car and away whilst the genpub was battling it out to escape.

Last time I went it, it was so wet that I was advised not to drive as the car parks were like swamps. So a train to Reading, thence another to North Camp and finally a bus to the show. Treated like a potential terrorist by some arse-fondling failed wheelclamper to get in, but then some excellent hosting thanks to the company who'd invited me.

The weather was so awful that there wasn't much flying, so after taking my leave, I went for a quick look around the almost totally deserted trade area, then down to see a chum at the A400M. Very interesting look around the aircraft, but I had to leave to catch my train....

At the bus stop there was NO shelter AT ALL. It poured, so I got totally drenched. As I also did at North Camp. Reading station was chaotic as it was being rebuilt, the train from London was late and overcrowded. I was VERY glad to escape at Didcot to drive home.

Attending Farnborough even on a trade day as I did, is not for the faint-hearted these days. The flying displays are pretty so-so, you end up walking MILES and queuing for ages - as you do if you've come by car.

Unless you're being hosted, there are better ways to spend the day - such as watching DVDs of the 'old' SBAC days....