PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Looking to start... SACAA to UK?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2016, 14:00
AntonyBuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks again.

I have been looking more and more today and it seems the total cost for everything start to finish including accommodation is around 500'000 Rand, which at the moment works about £25'000, allowing for contingencies probably £30k. This seems very cheap, and very expensive at the same time.

I think however, with the EASA now being in force it may be better in the long run to do the integrated with a Spanish company, cheaper prices and still part of EU. I have had a price quote of around 57k euros including accommodation and everything pretty much.

As you said though the gamble of not having any employment after it is immense. How did you manage to get a job as FO with the A380!! Well done by the way haha.I think its about who you know as well as what you know, after all more or less all graduate pilots will be at the same level of knowledge and hours.

At the moment I do not have the money to do it, i would struggle to do my PPL at the moment financially, but I am hoping that I can put future money towards ATPL etc with a view to being airline pilot like yourself.

I have looked at a good few airline recruitment pages and most want 1500+ hours with 300+ rated on whatever they are flying, not sure how one is supposed to acheive this though realistically, especially after having paid out already massive money for the licences themselves.

So in short, if i had the money now I would go to the Spanish place i think, but sadly i dont at the mo. I could do the PPL first and see what happened from there, but i think i am destined to be eternally sad and never reach my goal of being an airline pilot. Im not after massive money, just want to do it and do it well