PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2016, 13:40
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. For the screening/interview. Would a jacket and tie be acceptable, or is a full suit recommended? I did my interview for my current position with jacket/blazer and I do not actually own a suit. I have no qualms in getting one tho.
There will undoubtedly be examples quoted of various standards of dress exhibited by different attendees of the selection procedure and there is no hard and fast rule (unlike the white shirts that we know TD loves......we know you miss Greg ) . However, the people on the other side of the desk wear suits just about every day of their lives (in various fetching tones of black) and I believe you'd be safest with a suit. If you're anywhere near Hong Kong, Bangkok etc then get one made up. Much cheaper than most shops and you end up with a personally tailored bit of clothing that can then be used for the next funeral you attend.....maybe that's why they go for black!

2. I am in my early 40's and I have been wearing a beard for a very long time now. Would that be something to consider getting rid of? I am a bit scared of what I will look like , but again...i have no qualms in doing so if that is something that the Japanese culture requires.
I think the Japanese are a little suspicious of face fungus but they don't seem to mind it on our pilots who sport the things. So long as it's neat and trimmed and not trying to give ZZ Top a run for their money then I think you can keep your face warm by retaining your hairy chin. I'm pretty certain there's no Japanese culture that requires them to have a smooth face, just an inability of most of them to grow one.