PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue hiring
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2016, 13:20
"Littlebird"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish

WillieTheWimp

The resignations have had an impact and will continue to do so. ATR was over crewed especially in light of recent developments ie. Alliance taking over the Emerald run, and the proposed withdrawal of 4-6 airframes, leaving a fleet of only 8 or so.
Ex ATR crew working up here, sensed exactly what was going on and walked. An uncertain future and lack of career progression is common to all.

Of course you can wait your time for an Ejet or 737 role, although to give you an example, a current ATR Captain is looking at 1-3 years from today (not to mention the 4-5 years they have already been on the ATR), a current FO more than this, and a new join, even more... so I guess the only real opportunities at the moment are on the 777 as a SO, or the 737 in NZ. This brings me to my next point.

As it appears there is very low interest in the SO and NZ roles from current crew, which means that any recruitment external will be for these positions and possibly ATR. So if you were to join say end of 2016, you will have every current 777 SO, ATR and VARA pilot, and shortly Tigerair pilot senior to you on the seniority list. How long do you think it will be before moving on from expert map folder? Yes indeed food for thought and time for the pension