PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erebus 25 years on
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2016, 02:49
3 Holer
Whispering "T" Jet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome aboard megan. This debate has been going on since the 29th November 1979 and will remain ongoing because there is no middle ground to which the two warring parties can agree.

1. The crew did not survive the accident, therefore it is only speculation on what was briefed at the planning stages (before the aircraft got airborne), during the cruise and prior to descent. (MSA, discussion about the route down Mc Murdo Sound, the actual weather at the time (NOT forecast) etc,.)

2. Mahon found during his inquiry; “The palpably false sections of evidence which I heard could not have been the result of mistake, or faulty recollection. They originated, I am compelled to say, in a pre-determined plan of deception. They were very clearly part of an attempt to conceal a series of disastrous administrative blunders and so… I am forced reluctantly to say that I had to listen to an orchestrated litany of lies.”

3. The New Zealand government and Air NZ were furious and had the findings overturned. Not a popular decision with most of the victim's families. In 2004, appeals to the U.K. Privy Council were abolished in NZ. In 2009, Air NZ's Chief Executive stated, "Air New Zealand inevitably made mistakes and undoubtedly let down people directly affected by the tragedy." That would include families of the crew.

So, there are three sides to this debate. Mahons, Air NZ & NZ government supporters (for brevity referred to as "Others") and the TRUTH. As can be seen by all contributions in this thread, the TRUTH will never be established so it will remain Mahon vs "Others" until infinity.

Amen