PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erebus 25 years on
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2016, 22:58
PapaHotel6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was nearly on stand by as a lowley First Officer for that particular flight.
I say nearly, because Greg Cassin and I had agreed to switch dutys because of a family illness, and I agreed to change; but I did make it clear that I was NOT interested in joyriding around the South pole.
I can add now in hind sight that the mindset of many of the the then Captains, and even right up until 1980's was of unmittigated omnipotence.
I flew with Collins about two weeks prior to the il-fated 901,and admit he was a pleasant fellow to fly with, but there was a hard nosed streak, that occasionally showed up.
Cassin was at the other end of the scale, a very pleasant and mildly submissive.
The utimate end could have been different, if there had been a crew change, but never the less MSA is just that, Minimum Safe Altitude.
and VMC means a visual flight conditions which must include a defined horizon of some sort,that did not exist that day.
The first warnings were loud and clear by their ommisssions.
Loss of VHF radio contact, and a loss of VHF Nav contact.
I think most of us would have made it known that all is not well and to get back up to MSA was necessary at that time.
The 'Bell' could not have been much louder!
Excellent post Gulfairs.

So if I read you right, you are suggesting that Jim Collins might not have been the sort of person whose demeanour would have encouraged open feedback from other crew members? I myself heard that recently prior to this flight, a F/O had filed an incident report against him over a hot & high approach into NAN.

Ultimately though, whether these things are true or whether he really was an aviation demigod as suggested by Mahon et al is irrelevant. Every single one of us, regardless of history, is capable of making dumb mistakes.