PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Looking to start... SACAA to UK?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2016, 20:27
AntonyBuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to start... SACAA to UK?

Good Evening,

Alright, I have a feeling I may ramble a little so please bare with me.

I am 30 years old with absolutely NO flight experience at all. I have, for a VERY long time wanted to be an airline pilot. The only hurdle for me (as I am sure it is for 99% of everyone else) is the cost. After a LOT of reading on PPRUNE and various other places I have been looking at training in South Africa. At the moment it is still in the 'dream' phase, but if cost can be mitigated somewhat then it will move into planning phase....

So here are my concerns, I am sure they have been addressed in previous posts but i really have searched and cant see the answers to all questions from reliable sources...

1. If i do PPL(A) in SA (Giving SACAA PPL) can i use it in England, UK as entry onto ATPL course with the intention of becoming airline pilot?

2. I have seen courses advertised that don't require a PPL in order to progress to ATPL(A(f)), is this real or am i misunderstanding something?

3. I am looking at Algoa flight school in Port Elizabeth, does anyone have RECENT experience there?

4. Im sure i will have missed things that i need to know, but the most important is probably number 1. if there are large expenses in making the SACAA PPL useable here then it wouldnt be worth it.

Sorry for rambling, as i said i really am a novice so please no unhelpful comments if you dont mind lol.

Thanks again.