PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2016, 18:53
Union Jack

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
I have always been amazed at the decision to allow WRNS to go to sea as part of a ship's company. At one stroke their Lordships must have put the teeth on edge of every Naval Wife. These had long been resigned to having their husbands disappear for months at a time, secure in the knowledge that they were safe from the (conventional) temptations of the flesh while boxed up in a floating steel monastery; now all that was at hazard. - Danny

I couldn't agree more, Danny, and expressed my views very strongly and, whilst the ladies always seemed able to cope with the the concept of a "wife in every port", or what the French call being "un celibateur geographique" aka a "geographical bachelor", I know that the idea of having females at sea introduced a whole new dimension to the problem. The United States Navy have had considerable problems with the concept and, having also had some submarine experience, I have to say that having females at sea in submarines has well and truly raised my eyebrows.

No doubt the WRENs enjoyed it (and EQUALIY had been achieved !), but had I been the First Sea Lord (which, having regard to the safety of the Realm, thank the Lord I'm not, Sir), a wicked grin would have appeared on my weatherbeaten cheeks. - Danny

Of course they have, for precisely the reasons you say, and the good ones have been really good, but I suppose that I must accept that I am still just that little bit too old-fashioned (in the nicest sense) to feel wholly comfortable with the concept.

Why not select one frigate or corvette, and crew it with only females (from Captain to ship's cat) ? How popular would service in such a floating nunnery be ? Then we would see what the real draw was: Life on the Open Wave - or Jolly Jack Tar ? - Danny

An intriguing prospect to say the least and, whilst it would not have been possible at the outset, it would theoretically be possible now that the appropriate levels of training have been achieved, but as they used to say when considering stopping the tot, or daily rum ration, "But not whilst I'm First Sea Lord"!

Jack (not Jacqueline)