PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fantasy Cessna 180, 185 or 195?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2003, 07:26
Hank195

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to add my (biased) opinion on the subject of C-180, C185 vs. C-195 as part of a fantasy air fleet. IMHO, with your stated goals of beauty, speed and capability, the C-195 is clear the winner. For about the same price as well used C-180 you get one of the last round engine classics, a real beauty especially when compared to the angular, strut braced, utilitarian C-180/185.
A 195 will cruse at about 150 MPH down low or closer to 160 at altitude (similar to speed of the C-180’s I’ve been around, a C-185 is probably a bit faster). But, you get a much larger/nicer cabin with that wonderful radial rumble. The 195 is certified as a 5 place aircraft; there is even an “aisle” between the two front seats, no rubbing shoulders up front and you can easily change seats to the back if you want to stretch out.
The aircraft is modern enough to be “practical” (is a personal aircraft ever really practical?) and reliably operate in today’s airspace but old enough to be unique while bringing back the atmosphere and feelings of flying in the classic era. The all metal airframe is virtually the same construction as the newer Cessnas so it can tolerate being outside and does not need to be a pampered hangar queen. The Jacobs R755-B2 is one of the last small radials so it is well developed and reliable; usually going 1,500 hours to overhaul. Both airframe and engine parts are available from specialty suppliers at “reasonable” prices (a top rate engine overhaul costs a bit less than a comparable HP flat engine). All and all a C-195 is a great choice for a family traveling airplane, it does well on 1,200 – 1,500 ft grass strips, will carry 5 FAA adults, full fuel (78 of the tiny US gallons) with some GW left over for baggage, burning <14 gals/hour 5 hour legs are possible and you probably won’t see your self on the ramp when you get there (unlike most Cessnas).
The only case I could see for the C-180 or C-185 would be if you flew into really short rough fields & unimproved fields or were trying to make a living with the aircraft. But if you did that, then Miserlou is right – you need a Beaver.

Now, I did detect a note of reality in your fantasy aircraft? If you were willing to remove the purchase and operating costs…..then I would have to agree with foxmoth and look toward a G model Stagger Beech or perhaps a Waco SRE or Howard DGA-15. It is always nice to dream. But you know, I bet if I was in that immaculate Howard on short final to a very short, rough, one way canyon strip; my fantasy aircraft would be a Super Cub.

For a great C-195 travel log take a look at http://www.gruner.com/flight/
The Cessna 195 Club site has more C-195 information, history, sales brochures, photos and audio files of a starting Jacobs at http://www.cessna195.org