PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single Engine Flights Over Cities
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2016, 06:16
Hughes500

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts
Crab

I am sure there was a generator and an alternator, ( as a standby power source) but stand to be corrected as it was nearly 30 years ago.
It seems to me that it is all about perceived risk. Currently EASA and our CAA have stated that the need to do touch down EOL's can be removed from the syllabus to be replaced by power recovery as too many aircraft are bent in practicing something that is very very rare. So in some respect the authorities are saying one thing but .............. Personally it harps back to the earlier days of helicopter flying where things were perhaps not as reliable as they are now.
I suppose you can make figures say what you want. The US allows it so the question should be how many people have been killed form allowing single engine over built up areas v the number of flights ( impossible to get as no one records how hours are flown over congested areas ) But it does appear that most US police helicopter are singles so how many failures have they had that killed people. You could then argue as Crab has done needs /must i.e. in US they need helicopters to fight crime and singles are cheaper than twins so there now becomes a cost/benefit/risk analysis