PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retro painted aircraft
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2016, 22:45
philbky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EI-BUD
Buster,

Dan-air was a particular favourite of mine and I too would like to see a BA airbus wearing a DA retro scheme, though I agree it will not happen.

Philbky,
I'd be inclined to say that the American V UK situations are a bit different. The US have a huge home or domestic market where most of the retro scheme represent airlines that would have been well know. Most of BA's flying is international and outside of the UK most would not know who Dan-air or BOAC are for that matter. Hence, I'd be in agreement with Buster and I guess it comes down to brand building and the value add from such a paint job, be hard to see where they could gain anything. Whereas in the US adorning the schemes of well liked by gone airlines could be good to enhance the likes of say AA. Just my perspective.

EI-BUD
There's a good deal of truth in the distinction between the markets served by US and UK airlines with regard to retro schemes and it is interesting that AA and US Air before them have kept retro schemes on short/medium haul aircraft and rarely use them to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean.

The point I was making was the first phrase of Buster'second paragraph was an incorrect generalisation.