PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomson recruitment.
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2016, 22:09
Matey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed, the variety of flying at TOM is a great advantage. The 757/767 fleet was great with a mixture of short and long haul flying. The 787 was introduced as a purely long haul aircraft, but is already going the same way with short haul flights as well. True, you have to be at a "787 base," ie LGW or MAN, but many have gone for a commuting life, being based at one of the two, but continuing to live near their previous base. The introduction of short haul to the fleet has put something of a spanner in the works for them, as commuting was achievable on a long haul roster, but more complicated with short haul in the mix. Personally, after many years of flying long haul on the 767, I elected to pass on the 787 to return to the 737 NG in order to have more home time. I now work a part time short haul roster and it is great for me in my declining years! Part time working was, until recently, also not on offer on the 787. A significant number of others have done the same, or are unwilling to move base just to fly the 787, hence the progress a long way down the seniority list to attract takers. The flying itself is not particularly "objectionable " as you put it Iver, it's pretty straightforward really. What I found wearing in the end was all the hassle having arrived overseas. Hot bedding of hotel rooms leading to having to wait for your room on arrival, and long duty days positioning from your original arrival point to a different departure point, often on overbooked scheduled services, and trying to shepherd 13 crew through Miami without losing anyone in the airport Malls took the shine off it somewhat! Every other flight an unacclimatised night sector, and then being a rat bag at home for a couple of days whilst returning to UK time. Aah the glamour... Mind you, a night Bodrum doesn't tickle either! Horses for courses I guess.

Last edited by Matey; 12th Jun 2016 at 22:28.