PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wg Cdr Arthur Gill, OBE, DFC
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2016, 14:43
NigG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danny I bet there were some very long faces when the RAuxAF learned they were to be disbanded. The loss of a wonderful opportunity to fly (and the rest). Perhaps it was inevitable too. Though much smaller, the fighting effectiveness of the modern RAF must significantly exceed that of the 1950s' one. Technology trumps manpower (and where will it end?)

Learning to fly

Returning to some of Arthur's experiences, when he was learning to fly in 1937-9, as a member of the (part-time) RAF Volunteer Reserve... another of his memories was of 1938. He wrote:

My next forced landing was when I flying in a formation of four 'Harts'. The leader, another student-pilot, led us into thick cloud and poor visibility. When I came out of the cloud, the other three aircraft had disappeared! I looked around for a while but didn't recognise where I was, and there were no useful landmarks to enable me to locate myself on the map. So I chose a field and landed, avoiding some high trees and a power-line that ran to a farmhouse. At the far end was a herd of cows. I taxied over to some barns and asked a farm labourer where I was. 'You be at Tring, Sir', said he. I thanked him and said I hoped the cows wouldn't be producing curdled milk. 'They be alright, Sir', with a broad grin. I took off and found my way back to Hanworth. The other three were already back and said they had concluded I must have disappeared to 'shoot-up' some girlfriend's house!

That year, I watched the start of the 'King's Cup Race' whose course was from Hanworth to the Isle of Man.

[A 'Sparrowhawk', one of the entrants to the King's Cup]

The engine of one of the small aircraft failed just as it was passing over a row of houses that lined the east side of the airfield. Instead of pushing his nose down very quickly to maintain speed, then glide down to land in the field ahead, the pilot tried to turn-back to the airfield to land. With the nose pointing upwards and the rapid loss of flying speed, the aircraft stalled and then spun into one of the houses below. He was killed, of course, but so too was a woman, lying in her bed.

[to be continued]

Last edited by NigG; 19th Jun 2016 at 14:13.