PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St. Helena Service
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2016, 13:17
Broken Biscuits

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHBM - I agree the airport buildings look relatively palatial. There are other things where expense has not been spared - the navaids provided is a case in point. About the only thing they haven't got (as far as I know) is a VDF.

One thing which strikes me as a waste of money is the perimeter "security" fence. You can see it's even been installed on the first step down from the top of the Dry Gut fill. Now I don't expect there will be more than the odd walker anywhere near the airport site and surely the possibility of trespassers on the runway could be dealt with by stationing someone off to one side when an aircraft is due. It's not like the place is covered in masses of vegetation in which people could hide. In any case, it looks like the whole of the runway area is easily seen from the tower.

But, as I've said before, once you've decided to move 8 million cu m of rock to fill Dry Gut, the rest of the airport infrastructure looks relatively cheap.

But there is one thing which they don't appear to have provided - any decent space for cargo operations. There is no warehouse facility etc for temporary storage of items imported or for export. Presumably they intend to move them immediately from the aircraft down to Jamestown or wherever. Or perhaps they'll just position a few containers somewhere for storage?