PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish Airlines food
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2016, 12:15
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
This is not about airline food, so stop reading if bored!

evansb
PAXboy's revulsion to specific cooking odors suggests a possible psychological aspect to his food preferences, as well as physiological.
Interesting, with one type of food, I have always thought that the case: Pasta and it relates to a very bad boarding school. Fortunately, our parents realised it quickly and took my brother and I away. But I cannot eat any kind of pasta.

However, with the other two categories, the revulsion is instintive.

I recall the first time I encountered spices. I was 11 years old and (on a holiday) we visited the Durban Indian market. After the halls of fabrics and so on, we entered the food hall and I well remember the piles of brightly coloured powders. Immediately my stomach heaved and my nose felt like a thousand daggers were attacking it, I turned and ran.

I have never liked the smell, leave alone taste, of things bitter. From an early age (probably five, certainly for as long as I can remember), my brother had enjoyed supping our father's beer and I found it revolting. Likewise coffee. When I was about 15, I was offerred a cup of coffee by friends of my parents at their home. I thought that I'd better try this (to be sociable) and because everybody said how wonderful coffee was. I took a small sip and felt it go all the way down. I had to prevent myself going to wash out my mouth (it was a very polite dinner party!) and I felt ill for a couple of hours - that was my first sip of coffee and my last.

The same goes for bitter chocholate, whereas I have never found a limit to how much sweet chocholate I can eat. For some reason this includes drinks made of Grain, such as whiskey as well as beer. Whereas I can easily drink Grape alcohol. That said (!) my tongue likes dry red wines but NOT dry white wines. I don't know why but that's how it is. Fortunately, plenty of red wine in the world.

So, that's why I say that my body knows what it cannot accept and warns me by smell and look. I have met a number of other people who are also repulsed by spice and bitter. I have described it: My sense of taste is so far up the 'sweet' end of the scale that I cannot take ANYTHING even slightly bitter.