PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2016, 10:23
MPN11

Received 142 Likes on 65 Posts
Danny42C .. your #8693,

1. Whilst I accept your perspective on the working environment, I found the actual work infinitely more interesting and varied. OK, ERD was a bit special in that sense: in addition to normal Upper and Middle airspace work over East Anglia and beyond, we provided centralised Approach Control (CAC) to numerous (10 or more) RAF and USAF airfields on our patch. So every shift presented totally different challenges, procedures, aircraft types and flight profiles ... as opposed to a horde of Leeming JPs going round the circuit[s] day after day

2. If we are speaking of "Admiral" Tim De****k, he was the "Course Coordinator" on my JATCC in 65. Sadly there's a paucity of RAC Course photos in our "Old and Bold" library [mine in 66 is missing, for a start!] but they all have a variety of flt lt Course Commanders [Messrs Greenbrook and Cargill, and (possibly) Irving would seem to overlap your time]. I always understood that the flt lt instructors took turns in 'leading' a Course, presumably under the overall aegis of the Admiral and then OC CATCS himself?

Having consulted my archives, my [excellent] RAC Course Results do not indicate any of the staff. However, the Course composition was, perhaps, typical of that time of change:
3 x Flt Lt
1 x Plt Off
9 x MACR/WO [of which 3 were either recoursed or RTU]