PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 11th Jun 2016, 20:11
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gopher 01,

As always, thanks for your more mature insight into the meaning of the various acronyms that befuddled our former lives. And no inference as to your advanced years by any means. I reckon that you have fully explained the SVC, including the occasional inclusion of non engineering personnel as such. My own "eye opener" came when a Jengo from B line jumped on the aircraft one morning and told me that he had taken the SVC slot on a Belize Schedule, and that he would also be writing a report on my performance. Was he an SVC, or a trapper ? Did it matter? When the No 3 engine blew its Labyrynth seal on shut down at Dulles, we needed to work, not posture. So, an Engine change, and having exchanged eng reps, a recovery frame was launched with replacement donk, and Engine Change Team. They will arrive in two days time I was told. So, Jengo says, "right, game on" downtown Washington for two days. Not so says I, you are filling an SVC slot, tomorrow morning at least will be spent preparing the prop and engine for dropping. All required hoists etc will be booked, and once the aircraft is as far as possible readied for the recovery team, we can get a bit of sight seeing in. I will give the young Officer his due, he rolled his sleeves up and we got stuck in the next morning. He was miffed at missing out on the sight seeing offered by the aircrew. By around 1500 local we had done the prep, our only job now was to help with the transfer of our load to the recovery frame, and continue with that aircraft to Belize. We had a very enjoyable time that evening and I was happy to take the young fellow to the Smithsonian and a Limo ride around the sights of DC. The next day, our day off, we did a White House tour and enjoyed a walk around the Lincoln and other memorials, including the Vietnam rememberence wall. He certainly said he enjoyed the time, and whatever his report on me, I retired as a Ch Tech, I must have got something right. I just say, he was the only Jengo I ever saw with the cuts you always acquire from taking locking wire off, in preparation for an engine change.

Hope you have a good day on the 18th Gopher, unfortunately I'm otherwise engaged that day. I will attempt to arm Tucker T with a beer token from me to you, in the hope I can add to your enjoyment of the evening. Regards to all who know me.

Smudge