PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2016, 19:55
Danny42C

Wander00,

Doesn't ring a bell. Anybody ?
..., toilets - standard tower - one for officers, one for airmen..
Jokes aside (and that was a 'guddun'), we operated for a year or two at Leeming, after I arrived, on a unisex basis. The girls put up with it - but they didn't like it. Giggle - but supposing it were your daughter, your sister ? Admittedly the were "Ladies" in Flying Wing (50 yards). Fine on a warm Summer afternoon - but what about a winter night, pelting with rain and howling with wind ?

No one seemed inclined to do anything about it (asking to have money spent on "unnecessary" Works 'n Bricks was not a career-enhancing move). But I was not inhibited in that way. I put up a memo. through SATCO to OC (F). After making the case, I added, silkily, "I cannot but think that Group Captain Paul [Command Queen Bee] does not know of this arrangement and would not like it if she did".

This was bluff - but a little quiet blackmail works wonders ! Next Monday the first pack of bricks was at the back door. Get a satellite picture of RAF Leeming now, zoom right in on the Control Tower, look at SW corner. A small structure mars the mathematically perfect square of the original ground plan.

I suggested that a small blue plastic plaque be affixed to commemorate my part. But somehow it failed to gain support.....

Leeming was my last Station before retirement. What they did at other places, I don't know.

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 12th Jun 2016 at 12:02. Reason: Typo !