PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK and Snoring
Thread: EK and Snoring
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2016, 09:54
White Knight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's wrong with snoring and how does it effect a person's fitness to fly?
As one who has been diagnosed with Sleep Apnoea when the whole thing kicked off I will try and put a few rumours to bed here!

At first, I too was outraged by the idea that I may have a sleeping problem - having casually mentioned to one of our Docs that I'd been doing a lot of night turns and was tired. (Before the Gnome Doc was here I believe). I was sent off for a sleep test at the American Hospital and lo and behold I apparently 'woke up' 135 times in the six hours sleep I managed (wired up like a Christmas Tree); the thing is though I wasn't aware that I had woken - basically my airway was closing off because of snoring and after 30 to 40 seconds of NO breathing the body wakes itself up to get a bit of the good old O2... You'll find that the O2 SATS drop into the mid 80% range and that isn't good.

I went back to the lab for a second test, this time with a CPAP machine, and ended up having the best night's sleep in ages!!! I now use a CPAP machine every night that I can - and if I don't use I definitely feel tireder the next day.

To satisfy GCAA Medical requirements I'm supposed to comply with using it 80 - 85% of the time! I see a pulmonologist every 6 months so he can check the data. It sounds like a drag but I combine the visit with a gym/pool trip to Pharoahs' nearby...

I DON'T use it in the CRC... But I do carry it on layovers and use it in the hotel...

Sleep Apnoea has a strong causal link to cardiac disease and other ailments! The FAA are rumoured to be putting all 'large/obese' pilots through sleep tests too!

From my POV? If you have Sleep Apnoea then do yourself (and family) a favour by getting it dealt with... You'll feel better and live longer...