PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK and Snoring
Thread: EK and Snoring
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2016, 08:10
Kapitanleutnant

Just to give all an idea of how serious they take the snoring nonsense.... and I will ad this caveat... it was when Nomi was there at the clinic, and he is the single individual who basically started the "snoring" mania issues with pilots.

I had talked to a colleague who told me he went to the EK clinic dentist who said he should get a "mandibular device" e.g. something to help him sleep better. This thing brings out your lower jawbone so as to not obstruct airway when sleeping. Sounded good for me so a few months later (or longer) I made appt with same dentist

Mentioned to HER(the lass) all he above and she said while I was sitting in the chair at HER office, "OK, I'll be right back". I waited about 5 minutes and she came back and reported this: "I went to ask Dr. Nomi about this and he says you'll need to see your doctor immediately about this and take a sleep study test".

Needless to say I was absolutely livid that SHE mentioned my confidential (or what is in all First World Western Societies) symptoms to anyone else... and especially Nomi! I told her in absolute no uncertain terms she had no right to tell anyone else of my conversation with.

Longer story short... I received to cordial letters from Nomi stating I was required to see my doctor. I begrudgingly did and the doctor rolled his eyes and I further said I believe my doctor/patient privilege was breached etc. He agreed and I asked him to write in his report that very statement and the doctor mentioned it would keep Nomi quiet on this one.... BUT I'D HAVE TO GO GET A SLEEP TEST!.

I was not happy, but there was nothing I could really do. I thought about writing an official complaint against the female (Irish or Scottish) dentist but like all EK pilots, was just simply too tired to follow thru on it. Rather spend my few days off sleeping!!

For those that take that sleep study test: If you have 5 or less AHI (apno-hypopnic incidents" for the night, you pass the test. Also remember, if diagnosed with "Mild sleep apnea", there is no treatment and you're fine and don' need to do anything. Don't let them tell you otherwise.

Kap
Ex Slave Ship Airlines