PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - off strip landings
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2016, 02:10
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Thinkin about this dropping things from aircraft...

I have a vague memory from 30 odd years ago of watching a couple of ultra-lighters practicing their flour bombing technic. First one flew over the strip about 300' and dropped directly over head the target with no allowance for the forward speed of the aircraft. The flour bomb went far west out of sight. So I guess if yer gunna drop something from an aircraft you should look well before and well past the intended target just in case there is a bombardier 'error'. Also probably a good idea to drop at right angles to, and down wind of, any structures like wind mills etc.

The big concern I'd have for those first time 'bombardiers' is target fixation. If there's no pilot solely concentrating on flying whilst the bombardier visually follows the bomb and looks for impact results then there might be an unrecoverable low level 'upset' where the entire aircraft does a vertical test of surface conditions.

Then there is aircraft suitability. High wing, low wing, and can yer safely open the 'bomb door' with out bringing the aircraft down.

...thats my 10c done..