PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 descent and approach?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2003, 02:58
Hand Solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you were vectored onto the localiser from 10,000ft and told to maintain, say 2000ft until established
Not quite sure I understand this one. At which point do you expect us to descend to 2000ft?

Handling will all depend on the weight and weather conditions, a light aircraft with a strong headwind would permit a more expeditious approach. That said, assuming a mid-weight aircraft, level at 2000ft on the localiser, with totally flat surrounding terrain, you would intercept a 3 degree glideslope at approx 6.5 miles and I'd be confident to maintain 250kts to 10.5 then do constant deceleration to 1000ft using speedbrake and gear as necessary. This assumes a fully configured aircraft at the correct final approach speed at 1000ft.

Flap selections are based on speed. Maximum flap speeds (VFE) are:

Flap 1 230kts
Flap 2 200kts
Flap 3 185 kts
Flap Full 177kts

The gear is generally lowered as late as possible (2000ft at the latest in my company), but you can take it any time you need the extra drag, subject to the max gear extension speed of 250kts.

In terms of short final approaches, I generally wouldn't accept vectors to anything less than 6 miles because the controllers usually mess you up (controversial). If left to my own devices I'm more than happy to hit the final approach path at 4 miles.