PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An FTRS RAF?
Thread: An FTRS RAF?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2016, 10:35
just another jocky

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Melchett01
Can anybody explain the rationale behind the pay abatement? It seems not only unfair but plain wrong to my simple brain. That you have to leave one job and physically apply and be selected for the second to my mind implies 2 completely separate and unrelated jobs, where previous knowledge and experience are the only connecting factor. So why does the FTRS post pay less? Surely there should be a rate for a job that gets paid regardless of ones other sources of income.
I was told that it was a Treasury rule and therefore would be near impossible to change/challenge.

Originally Posted by Selatar
Firstly I think biggus just increased the RAF numbers by 10k up to 41 thousand. I may have missed the memo but isn't 31 and change the answer?

I think it was said on here after the SDSR 15 announcements that a fair amount of manpower numbers magic was required to find the people for SDSR outcomes. The RAF was to uplift by around 250 posts by 2020. This included manning 2 extra typhoon squadrons, retaining 2 C-130j squadrons and manning a complete MPA force. In addition extending sentinel and RPAS where the posts were often on the black economy or lifed. All of this does not fit into 250 posts. 1500 maybe. So my take is that in addition to reserves being in fashion (cheaper) it's an attempt to free up numbers to man all the kit within headcount. Just a theory mind you....
2 x Tiffie sqns manned by FTRS pilots (any FJ exp, QRA & FI only, 8 sortie OCU) is the rumour I've heard.