PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Empire Strikes Back! on Colour Defective Pilots
Old 10th Jun 2016, 06:44
brissypilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CASA / NZ CAA CVD link?

Didn't the head medical guy at CASA work at NZCAA about 10 years ago?

Might be a common link.
There might be indeed...

Dr Drane (current CASA PMO) & Dr Navathe (ex CASA PMO who introduced the 2014 CVD changes) both previously worked at the NZ CAA under the supervision of Dr Watson who still remains the current NZ CAA PMO.

See page 6:

CAA News July / August 04 - Civil Aviation Authority of New Zealand

Principal Medical Officer Dougal Watson joined CAA after more than a decade in the Royal Australian Air Force. Dougal holds a current PPL with approximately 600 hours, has 30 hours glider time, 22 free-fall parachute jumps, 40 hours ultralight and 15 hours dual helicopter time to his credit. He is also a novice grade hang-glider and alpine parapente pilot. Dougal says “I am happy to try and fly anything I can get near with mixed amounts of success”.

Senior Medical Officer Pooshan Navathe joined the unit after 22 years in the Indian Air Force. Pooshan holds a current Indian Glider Pilot Licence and has considerable military flying experience. He has 50 hours fighter jet time, around 1200 hours in helicopters and 750 hours military transport flying. Pooshan also holds a PhD in high altitude physiology.

Michael Drane, Medical Officer, is the newest doctor to join the CMU. Michael grew up around aeroplanes. His father is an aeronautical engineer and was involved with the Buccaneer and Concorde. Michael was taught to fly by the Royal Air Force and has approximately 50 hours, but says that “becoming a doctor in the UK largely thwarted any flying ambition!” After moving to New Zealand Michael was a GP and DME in Masterton for 10 years, servicing a very active local flying community.

Dougal is very proud of his unit's dynamic make up, “I must be the luckiest manager in the CAA. I am surrounded by one of the most competent and energetic teams I could imagine”.
In Dr Navathe's email to CASA DAME's explaining the 2014 changes, he refers to his old buddy's research:

"In the expectation you will be approached by pilot-patients with questions about this matter, I thought it would be useful to provide you with some information that can illuminate the issues and facilitate your discussions. Dougal Watson, Principal Medical Officer of the Civil Aviation Authority of New Zealand, has recently published an article in Aviation, Space and Environmental Medicine about the differences in medical certification with respect to colour vision deficiency worldwide."

The Watson CVD paper referred above has also been presented at several AvMed conferences and highlights some concerning behaviour and attitudes for somebody in that position of authority.

Concern for PMO Bias

It's ironic that under the rule of Watson, Navathe and Drane, both NZ and Australia now have the most severe CVD restrictions seen in our two countries in many decades.