PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STANSTED - 2
Thread: STANSTED - 2
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2016, 14:43
wings folded

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to bring up to date my critique of Stansted vis-a-vis PRMs. Just recently arrived there , not having booked assistance because if the distance is not too wicked, I can normally cope despite my disability (see posts round about 3455)

Two factors intervened. As seem to be their desire, STN ignore gate 42 to 50 something on that pier, and dump you as far away from the terminal as possible. This was the case.
And I had torn a calf muscle just before and could scarcely advance. My ground speed was about the same as my stall speed.

I saw that there was a minibus lined up to take wheelchair and broken limb victims, and asked the driver if I could hitch a lift, although I had not booked.

This chap (employee of Omniserve) was full of wit, compassion and good humour, with a repartee which may have been lost on our overseas guests, because he said at one point "you must have crashed in mid air because there are more PAX injured who are disembarking than the number who boarded."

But he was terrific. Drove a weird route around the apron and it seemed like he would plonk us on the luggage conveyors, but they have a secret lift which opens just in front of passport control, and the sometimes rather hostile Border Control folk, see that if you emerge from this lift, you are probably not able to amble through their maze of tape to get to the desk, and give you a short cut.

It made a hell of a difference to me, and I am grateful to him and Omniserve. And BC

So three points emerge. I take back how useless STN is. They were wise enough to contract with what seems a good outfit.

But the service I got was down to Omniserve. Why do STN not use all the gates nearer the terminal? Can't be dodgy airbridges because they don't use them. The aprons appeared in good nick. Why, therefore?

And, a minor detail, but my Omniserve hero offered onward assistance to my train.

I had a huge wait for the train, and thought I might take a bite to eat. Is he allowed to wait for that, or do I call them for onward assistance? After eating? I am really unclear about this.

Another poster remarked that assistance is often total; carry off, wheelchair through to departure, by train, taxi, private pick up or whatever.

I can move small distinces by my own locomotion, but have immense difficulties in standing in a queue. I don't need a wheelchair lift on, nor lift off, although my fellow passengers hate the time I take to negotiate the stairs. Perhaps they learn patience that way.

They still get to arrivals before their baggage, so is there any harm?