PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - June AAIB - wrong deck landing
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2016, 10:41
212man

Received 332 Likes on 185 Posts
Perhaps the procedure should be similar to that in a non commercial transport flight i.e. that the operator is required to submit a report. If that had been the case and the operator had adapted procedures to prevent a recurrence all the AAIB would have had to do would be to read, discuss and if satisfied accept the report.
They did....
Information Source: Aircraft Accident Report Form submitted by the
pilot
I do understand how wrong deck landings can occur in particular circumstances, but I'm having a hard time reconciling some aspects of this one including:
  • 180 degrees in the wrong direction
  • Half the sector length
  • A jack up rig helideck versus a platform!

Both pilots had their Navigation Displays (ND) selected to ‘sector’, as normal when operating
offshore, resulting in the Buzzard waypoint being outside the 40° arc displayed either side
of the helicopter’s heading
Well, there's a clue then.....

The commander would have preferred
to have been the Pilot Monitoring (PM) for this short multi-sector route: operating the radio,
completing the associated payload information and navigating in this busy, high workload
offshore environment.
High workload? I think that's stretching it a bit. What's to stop him taking control on finals? In multi sector environments like the SNS, Nigeria Eket field, or Brunei there are often multiple control handovers required.

Edit:
There's another one in the same bulletin - much more understandable: https://assets.publishing.service.go...CHBY_06-16.pdf

Last edited by 212man; 9th Jun 2016 at 10:52.