PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3 years later The Mildura report
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2016, 01:50
ozbiggles

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts
In a practical sense I see what you are saying Buzz...but I have a dream.

For too long the inmates have run the asylum in this country regarding aviation. Everything comes down to a cost benefit analysis. That has its place of course but things like an even playing field regarding a modern fuel,policy ( I'm thinking always having a 2nd bit of Tarmac) infrastructure such as Cat 2/3 ILS or GLS at least at capital city airports and a proper NOC controlling critical bits of information is where we should be going.

In my dream the safety world would be pro active and lead this discussion before we lose an aircraft because we didn't have one of these things in place. As they say if you think safety is expensive try having an accident. To pay for this all, a safety surcharge on all airline tickets. Not a hard sell for a good politician...not around in the current crop.It might be a dollar a ticket.

Instead after 3 years we got a report telling us the pilots should have got updated inaccurate met reports. The interim report had more in it. The Norfolk report showed us the capabilities of the ATSB, it could be the ATSB isn't funded enough or doesn't have the money to pay for the people it needs. It's the missed opportunities to lead a discussion that has to be had that disappoints me most in all of this. This should have been the wake up call...fate keeps knocking, soon it will open the door.

Last edited by ozbiggles; 9th Jun 2016 at 02:45.