PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going from Cessna 152 to 172
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2016, 19:05
Curlytips

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 172s forever!

Like the man with the razor who bought the company, when I tried the 172 (after learning on 152s) I liked it so much, I bought one. That was 31 years ago, and she's still giving me everything I want from an aircraft. Roomy, stable, economic and statistically the safest aircraft built. There are more 172s built than any other aeroplane. They'd built 37,000 before they stopped production due USA liabilities, and then they started production again with the 172R, then S, then SP.

A good 172 will get in and out of just about anywhere (a 182 even more so, but at greater expense). As a previous poster pointed out, it's much easier to enter a 172, and if your passengers like space and comfort, the back seat is second to none.

As you progress with your learning, the 172 is a superbly stable instrument platform for when you do your IMC (sorry, IR(R), in EASA-speak).

High wing means you and passengers have the best view downwards (but you need to lift the wing to check for other traffic before you turn - but you know that from the 152). Opening windows mean it can be a great camera ship.

If you can find an example that's been upgraded to 180HP (as mine is) you can even drive it flat-out at 130 knots for less fuel than a 182. Demo flights available in Southeast England - PM me if of interest.