PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2016, 14:03
BravoSierraKilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heading for that big jet in the sky

So I have started on the road to becoming an Airline Pilot. Currently training with the National Flight Centre in Weston Airport, Lucan. Dublin. Ireland
I have a few questions!!

1) I am 31 this June 20th…I am giving myself 3 years to get to the magical ATPL Frozen……Am I mad starting at my age?

2) I am taking the modular route as I am working to fund my training…. some Airline prefer pilots who have gone through the integrated course, however I would class modular pilots as having a slight advantage as the learning is slower so in theory you learn more as it has time to sink in…correct?? If a modular pilot applies to an airline that states integrated only, will the application simply be ignored?

3) In regards to hour building, will it have to be done with a school / club? I have access to a friend’s Cessna 150 and I plan to travel around Europe once my PPL is completed. However, if flying a friend’s aircraft how can my hours be verified or can they?

4) I will be looking at applying to Aer Lingus or Ryanair… (Ryanair preferred as I prefer the Boeing yoke to the Airbus side stick) the type rating in Ireland is approx. €30,000 Euros which the airline gladly accepts then you live on bread and water for 6 months until you get the 3rd stripe and they start paying you! My question is I have been told Ryanair have started bonding scheme where the new pilot will sign up for X amount of years and they take the 30k from you wages?

Thanks for your time, any other hints / tips would be greatly appreciated